This is fiddly fiddly work. I’ve got everything set up on the table, a shop light set up so I can see well, a dark back ground set up, and I’ve tried and failed one mending technique (drop the stitch involved, remove beads, pick it up, drop the proper stitch, replace beads, re-pick up). The yarn overs make it to tricky.
So I moved onto mending technique two — put in a life line over the section that needs repaired, drop the stitches across that section, and re-knit. I used a small long circular as the life line, picked up the row I need to drop back too (16 rows back, horror!), and dropped out the stitches across the section. That all worked well.
Then I started re-knitting, and kept having count errors, until I realized I was looking at the wrong row on one half. Then I corrected the count errors, and got to the end and realized I still had a great lot of unused yarn that had come out of the row, but not disappeared back into it.
That could be a real problem, if it happens again. It turns out I was re-knitting on a size 2 needle what had originally been knit on a size 6, so my hope is that one I re-knit using the correct needle, I won’t have the great lot of yarn left over.
So, I need to pull back the one row I’ve mended mostly correctly, and re- knit it again.
And to top it all off, in the middle of all this my camera died, so I can even show you what it looks like. *sigh*