Here’s what I’m doing:
1. I’m using the Snowflake to plan my writing – this means that on November 1st when I sit down at the keyboard, I’ll have a good idea of what I am writing, where it’s going, and how I intend to get there.
2. I’m setting a daily word count goal of 2500 words. Since the goal for the month is 50,000 minimum, 2500 should allow me to reach that goal even if I miss a day or two of writing, or miss word count occasionally.
3. I am planning one writing day a week outside of my home – this means writing longhand*, since I remain comfortably laptop free. There is an excellent tea/coffee shop nearby here, and a very nice bakery/cafe, both of which will be good writing sites. This lets me get out of the house and away from the PC with out disrupting my writing rhythm.
4. I am designating an inviolable writing time (a habit I hope I’ll carry on past November!). 8 am – 10 am. I anticipate I will be able to eek out more time over the course of a day pretty regularly, and I think I will need to to meet the goals for the month, but having a small concrete block of time set aside will provide a strong foundation for the month.
* Anna’s random writing tip of the day: Write longhand now and then. I find that the slower pace of the writing lets me get into the words in way that typing just doesn’t, and frequently a nasty case of writers block is cured by a judicious application of lined paper and cursive. Longhand writing is a little like taking the scenic route – it’s not as quick, but there’s a lot more scope for serendipitous discovery.
Hmm- I’m so glad I saw your post! I almost forgot (how could I?) that it’s time to gear up again and write. I like your list!
Go for it! I’ve done Nano three times–didn’t always finish, but it was always worth it.
I write longhand exclusively – I’m too glib when I type creative things (or letters, or journal), and I do most of my writing in a Barnes&Noble cafe.
Thanks for the snowflake link – interesting!
(I joined the Knitters forum over at Nano!)
NaNo has a knitters forum?! On my way!
There’s a knitters forum! I was undecided about this year, but this might convince me.